Wednesday, August 20, 2008

8/12

Today I was in triage at the village next to El Ayudante. It's actually Dr. Medina's clinic.

We walked through the actual village to get there and it was very poor in terms of money but very rich in spirit. Music and children filled the streets. The kids were yelling out "gringo, gringo" at us and "cheena, cheena" to Courtney who is Korean. They probably rarely see Asians.
It was a challenge doing Triage. We saw over 300 patients but I absoultely loved the business. It felt so good to do some nursing things. It is definitely something that challenges me, not easy to do but still within reach of perfection. It is rewarding.


( showing off my blood pressure skills)

An older woman grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight and said "gracias" . She was 87 years old and had 10 children . She was brought in by her little grandson who was maybe 7 or 8. He seemed to be looking after her. When I was about to do the blood pressure, the little boy would kindly bring her arm to me and she would just smile down at him. He never would leave her side. He kept one hand on her shoulder the entire time. He would move things and people out of the way for her, and help her getting up and down stairs or chairs. She was having trouble standing in the line to see the doctor so I brought over a plastic chair which the little boy helped me carry. She really appreciate this small act. It seemed to mean so much to her.

The nicaraguenese people are so loving and kind. they are so grateful to us for such small things. I dont even feel like I deserve it. It is a selfless act. They deserve this care. We are require to provide for the poor, that is why we are so blessed.
One woman prayed with Heather, which I thought was so sweet. The Lord is ever present here. For lunch we had fried goat cheese, which was interesting. I didnt really care for it so i filled up on the fresh fruit and other selections.

One child came in with iron deficiency anemia. When asked how many times a day she ate, she replied once. Her mother scolded her and said "arent you embarresed to tell people that? You should lie and say at least 3". that really shocked me.
I touched so many patients with scabies today. Im a little worried about getting it but I know it was worth it. Three babies came in with respiratory distress. Dr. Kern , Sarah the pediatrician, said that 2 of them were going to die because they were hydrocephalic and could hardly keep awake or breathe. She told them to go to the hospital but we all know how unpromising that care will be. We didnt seem to pick up on these kids in triage which is what we are supposed to do. We think maybe the kids were bundled up so we could see the chest effort in breathing....or maybe Brent triaged them because I didnt see anyone hydrocephalic, but I am learning .

Two little girls played with Heather and I. We let them listen to their hearts with our stethescopes and play with our blood pressure cuffs, They were so cute, they would dance around the tables and come up and hug us in the middle of triage. They adored us.

(heather letting the girls listen to each others hearts)

All of the translators are so kind. Louis was with me today and he said "dont you get frusterated that they cant understand you" to which i replied "no, i am not frusterated with myself that I dont understand them and i dont understand how they can not be angry with me for not knowing spanish as I am in their country"
Although, even english is starting to sound like spanish to me....its all starting to blend.

We got out of clinic really late because of how many patients we had. Pharmacy got extremely backed out so when we were done with triage I went and helped with the pills. We made it to dinner at the cafe in Leon (without showering, so we all felt so gross) from the first day there and had an authentic meal with plantain chips and shiskabob looking thing, my table got glasses of wine and ice cream sundaes. I really missed chocolate and it was so delicious and extra sweet. It was definitely fun to bond over dinner with the group.

(my authentic meal)

I cant believe its wednesday, things are going by so fast, i wish it would all just slow down a bit .

No comments: