Tuesday, August 19, 2008

8/11

Monday has come and gone, hard to believe
pliatano/plantanes and an authentic dish which resembled some sort of beef rice veggie stirfry , very tasty, was for lunch with FRESH FRUIT! which seems to be available at every meal. The white pinneapple is my favorite. haha. ive been trying to open up and allow myself to eat things I normally would turn my nose at. Which is so unlike me but I figure , you have to respect a culture for who and what it is. and every part of that. That is part of what this experience is all about.

Today we went to the school Miromar and set up our clinic. It was an hour drive , minus the random stop because they thought the bus was leaking gas. We drove pretty close to the volcanoes so it was a beautiful scenery. The 2 were named big brother volcano and little brother volcano but i forget the spanish translation .


I worked at the pharmacy with mario (the translator), valerie, and brent. It was a challenge searching for the meds in the wrong bags and dealing out the exact correct number of pills and such. mario was the pharmacist and translator. a lot of the scripts he would change to what he would do which got us in trouble with will because he wanted us to count exact amounts of vitamins while mario was telling us to just eyeball the amount. Will got a bit mad because he was worried we would run otu of vitamins and he blamed us and said we knew better. This frusterated me because of the way of work ethic is. I know we all make mistakes and I should let it go. No harm done.
I learned a lot about meds which will be helpful for the Nclex! HOPEFULLY!

I saw scabies today , like many fungal infections tons of sick children have. one women discovered she was pregnant at the clinic and that was ahappy thing even in hardship. The kids from the school kept trying to steal our toys for the patients and that was heartbreaking to tell them but we didnt have enough. Only a few people came with no medical problems expecting free meds which even so got vitamins which were beneficial. one woman brought her family through three times for things expecting more than vitamins.

its sad to see and and to turn your back to because they need these vitamins and are impoverished but having only so many and so many more sick people creates a sort of catch 22. How am I so lucky to never need anything that isnt available to me.
After a long day we came back to Ayudante for dinner. Victoria, Heather, and I read under the ticki hut and talked. It was so peaceful but all of a sudden i heard a swooshing noise. I looked up and could see darker clouds in the horizon. We 3 all started running back to the main house and as soon as we stepped under cover it began to pour. the lightening was stunning. It was so colorful, pink and white. I was amazed.

A local group brought handcrafted items for sale and the money they raise goes straight back to the poor villages to the people who made the items. I bought a few things including a pottery pig bank without a cork in the bottom. The tradition is when the money is needed you break the pig...essentially "breaking the bank". I thought that was cute. I played a game and emailed my mom. I had the opportunity to talk with heather a bit about God and faith and Hinduism. So many other things as well. We both ahve a lot in common. We are both open minded and have believing hearts. She is an old soul, i could tell,


We discussed faith and how much it takes to move your whole family here for this mission the way Bill has. We both agree we dont know if we would have that same faith to do that. I would like to believe i could!
God has shown me my heart and what I need to do through her. Such a blessing I have found this friend here in an uncommon way.
many of us dont know each other past this week, and we can sit next to each other and not utter a word and yet i feel so close to them.
Many bonds are being formed and relationships.
i find it interesting because i have always been someone who relies heavily on others. I will have 1 or 2 best friends that i am close to but everyone else i keep at arms length . this experience pushes me to be independent and follow what I want to do with my freetime. not what my friends are doing. Its a way of learning your own soul and who you are. Being comfortable alone. But i am fond of Heather and home to get to know her more,

Tomorrow I am unsure of my assignment I believe we are all staying on ground or near here. The guys are outside watching a projected movie on the wall with a laptop. the speakers would would and i couldnt hear so i cam intisde. it was a pirated 2 dollar copy bought at the market with spanish translation on the bottom. but it was actually not too bad in quality. AMAZING. haha. well now im going to read and i cant wait for tomorrow!

No comments: