Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nicaraga news



I went to doctor yesterday to get my hep A shot..im going to get anohter in 6 months so that it will last up to 5 years for future medical work i may do. I think the pharmacy thought I was crazy bringing in as many prescriptions as I did for all the medicines. Luckily there is a typhoid oral pill instead of a vaccine so my shots were limited to 1. I have to start the medication to prevent malaria a week before I go which will upset my stomach so i must take it with food. Also the cipro for traveller's diarrhea (sounds so great!) has been known to give women yeast infections which is basically the grossest most uncomfortable medical infection in my opinion. So now medically I am ready for my trip...scabies cream and all!




I looked more into the place we are stayed called "el Ayudante" . Built i believe in 2002 they ahve been housing medical and mission teams to come to Nicaragua...they also have a health clinic, women's clinic, and child protection center on the property called "18 manzana's". Here is a picture of the team housing :




I also learned some little facts about Nicaragua from the website....I already knew it was the second poorest country in the western hemisphere but I did not know that the population was 49% children (younger than 15) and more than half of those children (as young as 5 years old) were employed in illegal labor. The child mortality rate is six times higher than the U.S.

45% of 19 year olds are either pregnant or have children. Only 59% of the children reach 5th grade. This just proves to me during a shadow of doubt that mission work is needed in this country.

I have been starting to have fears and anxiety regarding this trip. My father has not been quiet about his distain towards my adventure to nicaragua. Parts of me says "what are you doing??? stay safe where nothing can harm you!" but there is a much larger part of me that SCREAMS for this and knows it will be a life changing experience.


my cousin mallory is headed to vietnam at the end of the month and i am so excited for her. She will be there an entire year. I pray for an ounce of the courage she has within her. She has already lived in europe for a few months and travelled to places I have never heard of. I have the same thirst for travelling but I am only just now beginning. So please keep her in your thoughts and if you believe in prayer then prayer as well!


i will keep updating when i have more information. I am headed to my first team meeting on saturday and i am sure more exciting news awaits me!

ill leave you with a picture from matagalpa in nicaragua...not where we are staying but i believe visiting for one day....it is simply beautiful among the ugly

1 comment:

Mallory Imler said...

Molly! I just found your blog! I am so excited for you....Your trip will be amazing! I love you and I miss you.... and thanks for reminding me to get traveler's diarrhea medicine! You're the best cousin ever :)