Thursday, July 31, 2008

the energy

I have 2 days left of work.
I cant believe it. Yesterday I had to say goodbye to one my favorite residents, Felicia. She is off to surgery this morning. Felicia was pushed down the stairs at a bar about one year ago and it rendered her paralyzed on her left side...she is in a wheelchair . When she was in the hospital she had a clot developed in her brain...Part of her skull was removed in order to relieve the pressure and remove the clot. That part of her skull was put into a freezer to be preserved on this morning at 6 am the surgery began to replace it. Felicia smiles and says , "its literally like a brain freeze" But i know she is scared . She is excited but scared. Everyday she learns how to do something she could do before her injury. In a few weeks, after this recovery she will be headed to another hospital in the area for a innovative surgery that will place a pump that runs on electric signals that may help her to regain function of her left side....hopefully she will be able to walk again. She is so determined and postive i have no doubts that she will walk again. I have learned so much from felicia on believing in yourself, and staying positive no matter what the circumstances might be,
Yesterday the man who does the fellowship services at the nursing home stopped by to visit and pray with felicia for her surgery. He found out about my leaving on friday and about my nicaragua trip. After writing down my name on a piece of paper in order to remember to pray for me during the trip he started to pray, right there over my head. Which left me a little stunned. Im a believer in God and i have spirituality. I was raised catholic and know all about guilt as any good catholic does! But ive always had problems with people who were so outgoing with there religious believes as though they were shoving them down your throat. Spirituality has been something private in my life that i keep within myself and show through actions but not words....I dont have to constantly talk about God and the Bible for people to know that i live by faith. but who am i kidding, i have lost that aspct of my life a bit. I used to be a overly religious person, i say overly because i was niave and didnt know anything about the world. I thought once about joining a convent but i went to BGSU instead and discovered a beer. haha.

well growing has taught me a lot about life and that there are many different beliefs in this world and im not really sure what my own beliefs would fall under in terms of catagories of religion. But i am happy that this man knows where he stands...even if he may be niave and rigid in terms of it. I am honored that he would pray for me to the God he believes in...even if i had to keep from laughing during the prayer....laughter that comes from the awkwardness of it, not from ridicule. He is a very nice man after all. and i know his intentions are nothing but pure.

No comments: