Thursday, June 16, 2011

How to Become a Southern Belle

Yankee is a term I often hear when people are referring to me. I did move from the northern most point of Ohio to the south. Now I never would have even imagined that Kentucky was considered "southern" except on a grouping of a map. But the pearl earrings and sorority massiveness is definitely widespread in the Lexington area among girls. Now I am in a sorority so I do have that going for me, but where our campus had sororities here in the south its a little bit more exclusive and a lot more prestigious. Anyone at my college could join a sorority and it didn't have the classic stereotype that it has here. Being involved with the UK chapter has me living vicariously through this women getting the experience I dreamed sorority life was.


I think its time that I start learning the ways of a Southern Belle.

My blog definitely needs some new direction, Im not in nursing school anymore, and Im not doing much interesting things other than getting married and working...but how many times can you read about that! But one interesting thing I have going for me is that I moved from one state to the next and although I have now lived here for almost 2 years (WOW) I havent exactly assimilated into the culture. I still refer to cleveland as my home and bluejeans and a hoodie are my everyday wear in the winter...not acceptable here. When I meet new girls I feel completely boring and out of place. Im not blonde, I dont have pearl earrings (in fact i rarely ever even wear jewlery) my makeup is simple, i dont fake and bake, i do not have a twang, and I do not own a lilly pulitzer dress....


So for my first lesson in being a southern belle......ENTER the LILLY PULITZER DRESS.



Here we go girls. Now I have heard of "a Lilly" before, but I have never had much interest. But now I want one with a burning fire. It is the most essential item right now. A 20 something girl in Lexington Ky must own a Lilly and wear it to Keeneland every april/october for the races.
Are these dresses cheap? Hell no. But they last. and they are adorable! The Lilly print is now EVERYWHERE. It is now a brand for furniture, accessories, shoes, kids wears and ....sorority prints! There are currently 4 lines of sorority prints out and soon to be a few more *after a huge facebook vote to be the next printed sorority*...I heard a rumor that my sorority (chi o) was going to be a new up and coming print and I am anxiously awaiting this proof. Until then I will be signing up for an extra shift at the hospital this summer in order to afford one of these beaut's.

I plan on going to Keenland this October for the first time (cant believe I haven't gone yet!) and I will be wearing a Lilly. Also, for school next year I will be decked out with the finest lilly accessories... if you are going to fall for something, fall hard :)


So lesson one in fashion of a Southern Belle is the lilly pulitzer!





and here is a link to the website, feel free to send me something :) http://www.lillypulitzer.com

All my love!

No comments: