Thursday, January 15, 2009

freezing temps

I have applied for 4 jobs in cincinnati. Hopefully i will hear back, but dont really expect to until March or April. After my leadership and Management class on tuesday, I learned that it is a tough job market out there for new grad RN's, not as easy as we have all thought and been told it would be. Most hospitals are looking for Nurses with at least year experience and more. It costs a hospital a lot more to hire a new grad due to the training and insurance. There were 4 new grad opening at a hospital in Cinci, i applied for 2 of those opening: Surgical, and Geriatric....I also applied for 2 openings at another hospital one in ER and the other LTAC (long term acute care)...those two didnt say they were looking for new grad, but had no listing as far as experience needed so hoping for the best. I am unsure where I want to work specifically, will determine that after interviews, and surgical preceptorship...but those are my main interests so far i believe. I will be graduating a gerontology minor after all, i thought i wouldnt because it turned out one of the classes i took didnt apply to the minor, so i was 2 credits short...but after emailing back and forth with gero profs they determined that they would take my nursing gero class from last semester and apply to the minor. So hopefully this will put me a bit over the edge with the competition for the Gero jobs.

things at school are getting a bit better. sort of adjusting to the stress i knew would be this semester, but its still a worry hearing about the hesi and nclex

blogs are probably going to be constantly about Nclex, Hesi, and school...so boring im sure but they are my life.

something a bit more interesting, in one week i will be back with my boyfriend which cannot happen soon enough. i miss him so incredibly much, i fear i have become a dependent girlfriend, the kind i have always made fun of. its wierd to believe that something you share with someone is so unique and yet common sense tells you it isnt. i never believed i could feel this way, like people in the movies seem too...this is so sappy, the cynical side of me is strongly scolding myself.
the cynical me is waiting for something back to happen. The in love part of me is saying this could be forever. but the part of me that is trying to gain a better hold of my life says that i shouldnt really worry about either side and just focus on today, and what is happening in this moment. and in this moment, i am at school...missing my boyfriend....

tomorrow i have Hesi prep class followed by the first perioperative class where i hope to learn more about my preceptorship, perhaps who i am following, where, and what type of hours i will be working...
today i had orientation at Flower for Med/surg. my clinical instructor was pretty school, seemed down to earth and it might be okay. even though i will never have an interest in med/surg nursing.
but things are pretty intense this semester, as anyone can tell.

No comments: